14 Oct AYP List of Top Credit Cards for October 2016
October is the BEST month of the year! The fall weather settling in (everywhere except Florida of course), football playing on the tube, and most importantly the celebration of my birthday!
Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy blah blah blah you get the idea!
How do I celebrate such a special day AND more importantly, how can YOU celebrate such a special day?
Well, with credit cards, points, miles and travel rewards of course!
Specifically – AYP October Top Cards!
Our goal here with Top Cards is to list out the best offers of the month based on our research – so then you can apply for one or two of the sweet offers and be on your way to [enter destination of your choice] for CHEAP using credit card points and miles!
If you are new to the credit card game, it may be wise to warm up with the AYP Starter Guide before jumping straight in. Everyone else, it’s game time.
Note: Within this post I have included various referral links – some links are my own and some links are from friends of mine – and, as a result, either I or another will receive a referral bonus upon your application and approval. I receive no other commission so thank you in advance for your support of AYP by using these links!
Have a referral link yourself? Email me at email@example.com and I will mix your link into my posts to share the bonus points! Seriously! Send me your link and I will post it on the blog and offer it to others who ask!
The AYP Top Card List:
(1) The Chase Sapphire Reserve – This is THE CARD to get right now! It has taken the credit card market by storm and is my #1 Top Card for the month of October! Honestly, I am not sure how Chase was able to offer a card that offers so much more value than any other credit card available… but they do, and you should get in on it ASAP! This card is the bee’s knees you guys…
Here is a rundown of the card benefits:
- Sign-up bonus of 100,000 Chase Ultimate rewards after $4,000 spending after 3 months! (Seriously people… 100,000 points! That is HUGE! I honestly cannot believe that they are offering a point sign-up bonus this good…)
- $300 Annual Travel Credit automatically applied to your account – includes airfare, hotel stays and more!
- Lounge Access – Priority Pass Select (includes guest privileges)
- $100 Global Entry (or TSA Pre-Check) Fee Credit
- A $450 Annual Fee (Not Waived), $75 for Authorized Users
- Redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards for a 50% bonus (compared to 25% with the Sapphire Preferred) through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal
- 1:1 Point Transfer to Chase Transfer Partners
- 3x Earning on Dining & Travel Expenditures
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Visa Infinite
My advice? Get this card.
“But Derek, the annual fee is $450!?”
Correct – and it is worth it! I assure you.
A word of caution – the Chase 5/24 Rule has been confirmed and the language is present within the card application. For those over 5/24, there are 2 ways to still get this card – 1) Apply in-branch with a pre-approved offer, and 2) Leverage your Chase Private Client relationship to bypass 5/24. If neither of those options is available to you (and you have opened more than 5 credit cards in the last 24 months), you will be denied… I can almost guarantee it.
(2) Chase Sapphire Preferred (Chase) – Even though I am advising people to apply for the CSR and downgrade the CSP – I remain a part of the CSP fan faithful! There are 2 types of people that I would recommend the CSP to – 1) Those who are new to the credit cards and travel rewards game, and 2) Those that just cannot stomach the high (but totally justifiable) annual fee for my #1 Top Card, the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
If you are one of those two – then focus your attention to a former AYP #1 Top Card…
The CSP is the best second best card on the market and will provide you a solid rewards earning base, which can then be supplemented with other card applications and bonuses. The current offer for the Chase Sapphire Preferred remains at its highest in almost 5 years and will earn you 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, with an additional 5,000 bonus points awarded after adding an authorized user.
The current bonus has been available for some time now and I have not heard of any changes coming in the near future, but remember – offers can change at any point in time… If this card is not in your wallet then check out why you NEED the Chase Sapphire Preferred! The card comes with $0 fee the first year, then $95 annually.
Own a business? It might also be worth applying for the Chase Ink Business card for 60k points through this link – note the $5,000 minimum spending in 3 months!
(3) The Ritz Carlton Rewards (Chase) – If you have ever stayed at a Ritz-Carlton Hotel – you know the high standard that they achieve at each of their properties! That high standard normally doesn’t come cheap… unless you take advantage of the new offer Ritz-Carlton branded credit card! The card offers 3 free nights at a Tier 1-4 Ritz-Carlton property after $5,000 in spending in the first three months. In addition, you will receive 10,000 Marriott points for adding an authorized user!
Considering that Ritz-Carlton nights can easily exceed $500 per night, this sign-up bonus card can be worth in excess of $1,500! While the annual fee on the card is $450, there are some awesome perks that come with it, including Marriott Gold Status (the first year), an annual $300 airline incidental fee credit (which reportedly can be used to purchase airline gift cards…but you didn’t hear it from me ;)), Priority Pass Select Lounge Membership, (3) complimentary Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge upgrades, and a $100 Global Entry (or TSA PreCheck) reimbursement!
Additionally, the card is a Visa Infinite and one of the included perks is the ability to save $100 each time you purchase domestic coach roundtrip airfare for two people! That’s right, $100 discount each and every time – that can mean significant savings for those that frequently travel with a companion!
I love the Ritz-Carlton, and I love this card! Mallory had it a little while back and I think that I am up for a sign-up next!
(4) Delta Cards by American Express – American Express is back with some increased credit card sign-up bonuses on the Delta Gold from American Express and the Delta Platinum from American Express (and the Business Gold and Business Platinum Delta cards as well) and they are absolutely worth your application consideration! According to American Express, these increased offers are available through November 9th. However, according to my Amex Refer-a-friend links you are able to apply and earn the bonus even longer – through February 1, 2017!
Through July 6, the Delta Gold from American Express and the the Delta Platinum from American Express are offering increased bonuses of 50,000 Skymiles + $50 and 70,000 Skymiles (and 10,000 MQMs) + $100, after $2,000 spending in the first 3 months on each! These offers are perfect if you are able to leverage Delta’s lower redemption rates – like I did with my 60,000 Skymiles redemption for two one-way tickets to Paris this past Valentine’s Day! In addition to the Skymiles and statement credit, as a cardholder you will enjoy free checked bags, no foreign transactions fees, and since this is an American Express credit card, you will gain access to the valuable Amex Offers program. The cards come with a $95 Annual Fee (waived the first year) for the Delta Gold and a $195 Annual Fee (NOT waived the first year) for the Delta Platinum.
(5) American Express Platinum – The American Express Platinum Charge Card comes with a nice sign-up bonus of 40,000 Membership Rewards points after $3k spending in the first 3 months along with a long list of travel perks and benefits, but with a $450 annual fee, it is not for everyone! While $450 is a lot of money to spend to be a credit card holder, IT IS POSSIBLE to justify this fee if you can maximize the cards sign-up bonus and benefits:
- Annual $200 Airline Fee Credit
- 5x membership Rewards in Airfare Purchases!
- Global Entry of TSA PreCheck Fee Reimbursement
- Lounge Access –Delta SkyClub, American Express Centurion, & Priority Pass
- Gold Status at Hilton, Starwood and now Marriott (via Status Match!)
October is the best month of the year! It is my birthday month and to celebrate this annual occasion let’s all get in on one (or more) of these AYP October Top Card points/miles offers!
My biggest piece of advice this month – get the Chase Sapphire Reserve! Seriously just do it already. I have done the math – it is worth it! The other cards on the list are all solid, but seriously, 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points… come on!
You CAN travel the world and you can do it for FREE or cheap! The offers above will take you where you want to go, you just have to let them!
Keep in mind that all of the offers above are “public offers” and are available to all applicants. There are often higher, more select, offers out there (check your email and mailbox!) – So, if you are targeted for these higher offers, apply for your targeted offer rather than through the links above!
Did I miss one of your favorite current card offerings? Comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org